Meet the team
Connect with me
Katherine Silverman is a business litigator with a unique depth of experience in handling commercial real estate disputes. She previously worked at a boutique real estate firm, where she assisted clients with issues related to leasing, development, and investment in commercial real estate. Today, a Shareholder at Berman Fink Van Horn, Katherine uses her litigation skills to problem solve for her clients – whether in real estate disputes or general business litigation.
Katherine is a thoughtful and strategic litigator who can map out a plan for her clients to efficiently manage litigation. These skills come to light when Katherine steps in the courtroom, giving her clients a tangible edge with her years of experience and aptitude in public speaking. Katherine has tried business cases all the way through jury verdict – securing successful results for her clients after years of hard-fought litigation. She assists clients in a variety of business disputes involving commercial real estate transactions, real estate development, and lending relationships.
A graduate of Emory University School of Law, Katherine was a member of the moot court team, mock trial team, and the Order of Barristers. Prior to law school, she received a B.S. in Journalism from Northwestern University.
Outside of the office, Katherine serves on the Board for the Wildwood Civic Association and enjoys exploring the Atlanta restaurant scene, reading contemporary fiction and listening to NPR and podcasts. She lives in Buckhead with her husband and two children.
- Georgia (2011)
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- USDC, Northern District of Georgia
- USDC, Middle District of Georgia
- 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
- B.S., Northwestern University, 2008
- J.D., Emory University School of Law, Honors, 2011
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Real Estate Section
- Vice-Chair (Present)
- Secretary (2021 – 2022)
- Board Member-at-Large (2020)
- Litigation Section
- Real Estate Section
- State Bar of Georgia
- Georgia Association of Women Lawyers
- Urban Land Institute (2015 – 2019)
- Georgia (2011)
- Katherine has been awarded an AV Peer Review rating by Martindale-Hubbell for legal knowledge, analytical capability, judgment, communication and legal experience.
- Katherine has been selected as a Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star (2020 – present).
- Katherine has been awarded a Pro Bono Star Award from Atlanta Legal Aid in recognition of her significant hours of volunteer legal aid for low income clients.
News & Insights
Commercial Tenant’s Remedies Limited to Breach of Contract Claims
Tangled Web: Meta’s Alleged Trade Secret Theft From Twitter
Court of Appeals Clarifies Conditions for Tenant’s Surrender of Premises
service of process
Court of Appeals Clarifies Rules Regarding Service of Process
Breach of Contract Claim
Breaking Down Twitter’s Lawsuit Against Elon Musk
NFTs and the Law – NFT Rights and Basics
NFT stands for non-fungible token. For a token to be non-fungible, it must be unique and unable to be exchanged for a similar item.
- On May 9, 2023, Katherine was a featured speaker on the panel, “Office Leasing After Three Years of Remote Work and One Year of Interest Rate Hikes” at the Atlanta Bar Association Real Estate Section meeting.
- On June 15, 2022, Katherine presented during a National Business Institute seminar, “Georgia Civil Practice, Procedure, and Forms.”
- On December 4, 2020, Katherine participated on a BFV Virtual Roundtable to address employment, real estate, noncompete/unfair competition and mergers and acquisitions topics.
- On January 2019, Katherine co-presented to Fulton County State and Superior Court Judges and Staff Attorneys on voidable/fraudulent transfers. This presentation was part of a seminar/CLE series hosted by the Fulton County Business Court.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of property owner client in adverse possession case. Appellate court affirmed grant of summary judgment. (2023)
- Secured seven-figure jury verdict in fraudulent transfer case for minority member of LLC, securing a judgment for 100% of the ask on the claim. (2022)
- Won declaratory judgment for record label client after five-day jury trial, defeating adversary’s claim for ownership interest in business. (2021)
- Sonic’s $5.7M Data Breach Deal With Banks Gets Final Nod (Law360, October 2022)
- Judge Signals Approval For Sonic’s Data Breach Settlement (Law360, October 2022)
- Sonic Signs $5.7M Deal with Banks To Settle Data Breach Suit (Law360, May 2022)
- Featured in Daily Report Online, “Over It: Fulton Jury Finds for ATL R&B Label LVRN in Suit Seeking Share of Company, Profits” (November 5, 2021)
- “Recent Court Rulings Demonstrate Value of Operating Covenants,” National Real Estate Investor (June 4, 2018)
- “Outlet Lawsuits Highlight the Need to Update Leases,” Value Retail News Guest Column (May 2016)
- Atlanta Legal Aid Service Council
- Board Member, Wildwood Civic Association