Meet the team
Jeffrey N. Berman
Jeffrey N. Berman
Jeffrey Berman works closely with clients to help make their businesses run smoothly. A Shareholder at Berman Fink Van Horn, Jeff leads BFV’s general corporate practice for long established businesses and with those who are creating and growing innovative companies. He also serves as the firms’ managing partner.
Jeff counsels clients on business strategy and risk, corporate governance and corporate transaction. His area of concentration includes advising clients on day-to-day business matters, as well as mergers and acquisitions for middle market companies, employment agreements, succession planning for business owners, commercial real estate matters and reviewing, drafting and advising contracts and agreements.
Jeff approaches legal issues from a businessperson’s perspective to make processes easier, avoid surprises and help individuals – and their business – grow and succeed. Jeff believes that if your business moves fast and runs lean, you need an advisor who can do the same.
Jeff is a graduate of Emory University School of Law and received his Bachelor of Arts from University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill.
Jeff grew up in a family business in Augusta, Georgia. He is married and has two adult children, whom he enjoys traveling internationally. France, Southeast Asia and Jamaica are among his favorite destinations. Jeff is an avid reader and a collector of first editions of award-winning mystery and science fiction novels. He also enjoys hiking, boating and scuba diving.
- Georgia (1982)
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
- United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- B.A., University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, 1979
- J.D., Emory University School of Law, 1982
- Georgia (1982)
- I am an AV preeminent rated attorney according to Martindale-Hubbell which means that my peers rate me at the highest level of professional excellence.
- I have been selected by my peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (Mergers and Acquisitions).
- I was awarded The Chair’s Award by the William Breman Home in Atlanta in recognition of my leadership and contributions (2015).
News & Insights
Podcast: Mergers & Acquisition Activity in the Pandemic
selling your business
Selling Your Business With A PPP Loan
Pandemic: Should My Business Pay Rent or Request Rent Abatement/Deferral?
Operating and Shareholder Agreements
LLC Members Should Carefully Consider a Forced Buy-Sell Provision
protecting your company
Do Your Vendors Have A Cybersecurity Strategy?
statutory financial power of attorney
Duration of Financial Power of Attorney: Misconceptions Exist
- On December 4, 2020, Jeff participated on a BFV Virtual Roundtable to address employment, real estate, noncompete/unfair competition and mergers and acquisitions topics.
- On November 12, 2020, Jeff participated in a podcast on mergers & acquisition activity during the pandemic.
- On May 29, 2020, Jeff co-presented during a BFV “Office Hours” webinar on business operations and real estate.
- On February 11, 2020, Jeff presented “Succession: What happens to my business, family and employees if something happens to me?/How to have the right business, personal and real estate documents and talent management plan” to Virtual Board entrepreneurs and private company CEOs.
- On January 25, 2019, Jeff hosted and participated in “A Conversation with Business Advisers: Unlock your Business’s Potential in 2019.”
- On December 5, 2017, Jeff co-presented “The Importance of Exit Strategies in Corporations & LLCs – Spotlight on Shareholder and Operating agreements” to clients of WHTCPA, a Georgia CPA firm.
- On November 4, 2016, Jeff moderated a session at a State Bar of Georgia Institute of Continuing Legal Education seminar. Jeff spoke on the process of shutting down a law firm, including merging it with another law firm, in “The Changing Foreclosure Practice: Professionalism, Practical Concerns, Insurance, Regulatory and other Issues Related to Merging Practices, Consolidating Practices, Shutting Down Practices, Retirement or Practice Reorientation: A Panel Discussion.”
- “GDPR – What are the Model Contract Clauses?” Berman Fink Van Horn E-News, Winter 2020
- “Asset Protection with Foreign Trusts,” Berman Fink Van Horn E-News, Winter 2015/2016
- “Business Operations: One Important Decision that can Impact Well-Being of Employees,” Berman Fink Van Horn E-News, December 2014
- “How Corporate Lawyers Provide Value During a Divorce,” Attorney at Law Magazine (Atlanta Edition), 2014
- “Seek Corporate Counsel During Divorce,” Berman Fink Van Horn E-News, April 2013
- “Ease into Succession Planning,” Berman Fink Van Horn E-News, October 2012
- “Finding Clarity in the Cloud: Investigating Cloud Computing,” Berman Fink Van Horn Business Law Perspectives, Spring 2011
- “The Estate Tax Quagmire,” Berman Fink Van Horn Business Law Perspectives, Winter 2010
- “Strategic Planning – Why Now?,” Berman Fink Van Horn Business Law Perspectives, Summer 2010
- Jewish HomeLife
- Chair of the Board, 2021 – present
- First Vice Chair, 2019 – 2021
- Member, Board of Directors, 2010 – present
- Member, Executive Committee, 2015 – present
- Chair, Business and Strategic Planning Committee, 2019 – 2021
- Chair, Quality and Risk Management, 2012 – 2019
- Jewish HomeLife